Monday, January 14, 2013

Shopaholic books 3 and 4 by Sophie Kinsella


This is my first post of the new year. I got busy around Christmas and didn't mention that I finished Shopaholic and Ties the Knot and Shopaholic and Sister. I think I made it clear in my last post that I didn't love the first two books. The characters annoyed me a little yet the story had me interested, and despite my annoyance with some of her choices I still felt bad for her in lots of instances and want to see where her life leads her.

One of the things that bugged me the most about Becky was her constant lying. She continued this trend in Shopaholic Ties the Knot, and it got her in a lot of trouble. That is one of the things I do like about these books, the fact that she does get herself in some difficult situations. As much as I dislike her attitude, I feel for her as well, and understand that she was only trying to do the right thing and keep everyone happy. She grows as a person as the series continues and she learns her lesson afterwards (for the most part). She does truly try to be a better person and that makes her someone that grows on you. I continue to hope that her life will turn out perfect and she will change for the better.

I have to say Sophie Kinsella is a great writer who keeps me glued to the pages.  I picked up Shopaholic and Sister almost instantly after I finished the previous book. In this book I liked Becky a lot better. She was a little naive to think that as her sister would be just like her, but she was also determined to get along with her and tried everything to forge a relationship. And she did learn and fixed her mistakes like she always does. She made good friends and saw life from the opposite point of view. Her sister was hard on her, but I think that was what she needed considering everyone else in her life seems to coddle her.

She seemed to be trying a lot harder to fix her money problems and although she was a little misguided in her methods she did succeed.


No comments: