Thursday, December 13, 2012

Shopaholic takes Manhattan

I'm taking a little break with the Outlander series right now and reading another popular series that I missed out on when they were new releases.

I was never really interested in reading the Shopaholic series when I saw it is stores, but out of curiosity I did see them movie when it came out. I did enjoy the movie for the most part so when I was offered the entire series from a friend I figured, why not?
I skipped ahead to the second book Shopaholic Takes Manhattan. I knew the plot line of Confessions of a Shopaholic already from the movie, so didn't want to read the book.

I'm really torn trying to decide if I liked the book or not. On the good side the book was well written. I was attached to the story and was interested to find out how Becky got out of her mess. The fact that I've already started the next book proves that the story is addicting and and interesting.

I often felt bad for Becky during the book, she was constantly getting herself into trouble and the people around her treat her bad. Especially at the neighbours wedding. I think in that case I would have handled that situation the same way she did. I also felt bad for her because in a lot of ways she is seriously trying to be better when it comes to her "problem". She just does a very bad job at it and is very weak willed. She always talking herself out of doing the right thing, and justifying her addition.

The one thing that really annoys me while reading is how much Becky lies. She lies about everything! It's not just to cover up her shopping addiction either. Sometimes she does do it cause she is trying not to hurt peoples feelings, but really sometimes there IS a nice way to say no. I just really hate it, all I can think when I'm reading is "if you just told the truth in the beginning you wouldn't be in this situation."

Anyways, I don't think I'd ever be friends with Becky if she was real, but I think I will finish the series, even if I spend the whole time complaining about her.

No comments: